[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: kerning in slanted/unslanted founts
- To: fontinst list <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: kerning in slanted/unslanted founts
- From: Chris Rowley <C.A.Rowley@open.ac.uk>
- Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 18:05:15 +0000 (GMT)
- In-Reply-To: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Alan Jeffrey wrote --
> I'm not sure why the kern values should change when you slant a font,
> since horizontal displacement is invariant under slant transforms.
But, as Lars said more quantitatively, kern values do not depend only
on what happens horizontally. The visual nearness of two shapes
depends on "non-horizontal relationships" between black pixels, and
these are not preserved by skew transformations.