[metapost] Feature request: Addition to functionality of `glyph' primitive

Laurence Finston Laurence.Finston at gmx.de
Tue Jan 11 19:45:04 CET 2022

Hello,

A problem that I've been having with the `glyph' primitive is that it doesn't return the bounding box of the glyph and therefore also no information about the position of the glyph within the bounding box.  This information must be stored somewhere and I've been reading up on the topic, but haven't gotten to this point yet.

It would be nice if `glyph' would return this information, e.g., in the form of two stroked items in the returned `picture';  one for
the width X height rectangle and one for width X depth one.

Would it be possible to implement this?

In addition, I downloaded the sources from the SVN repository and tried to locate the code for `glyph'.  However, there are so many occurences of the string "glyph" that I wasn't able to.  Could someone point me to the right place?

Thanks,

Laurence