[tex-k] Patch for a bug in mktexlsr.pl

Martin Vath martin at mvath.de
Tue Jun 25 19:18:15 CEST 2024

Hi Norbert:

> I guess that comes from the fact that nobody uses mktexlsr.pl, only the
> MkTeXUpd facility which expects an already present ls-R file.

I am a Gentoo user, and texlive-2023 under Gentoo creates
quite a number of symlinks from /usr/bin to .pl files:

% ls -la /usr/bin |grep texmf-dist.*\.pl$|wc
   52

It seems to me that all major tools (fmtutil, tlmgr, ...),
including mktexlsr, are symlinks to perl scripts.
So I thought that perl scripts are the new standard for texlive?

Maybe there is a configuration mistake in Gentoo's texlive, but
OTOH, for most Gentoo users the perl scripts seem to work.
It is probably not very common to have a CVS subdirectory in your
local texmf tree which caused me to detect the problem by accident.

Best Regards
Martin