font installation

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Wed Jun 19 22:49:05 CEST 2024

On 19/06/2024 11:29, Bob Tennent wrote:

> As tlmgr is non-functional in an OS-provided texlive, it can't be
> used to install fonts. But a TUG-downloaded TeX Live user can.

Thank you. That's what I've documented.

> And even on an OS-provided system, you should be able to install
> fonts directly from CTAN.

Yes, this is not a problem.

> Many font packages provide tds archives which make it easy to install
> all the support files in their proper places.
I am documenting what to do with the various files in the other cases.

> Remember to enable the relevant Map file and execute updmap-sys or
> updmap-user.

I am dealing only with XeLaTeX using TT/OT fonts. Are Map files used by
XeLaTeX in this circumstance? My (limited) understanding was that Map
files are only for connecting the fontfamily/fontname definitions (eg in
a .sty file for the typeface) with the .pfb file for Type1 fonts.

> And if you want the fonts to be visible to non-TeXLive
> programs, you'll have to configure and execute fc-cache yourself.

At the moment I am only addressing the case of installing downloaded
TT/OT fonts (including those from non-CTAN sources) into a personal tree
(eg ~/texmf) for which an additional fonts .conf XML file referencing
the /truetype and /opentype/ directories seems to be enough to allow TL
to see the fonts correctly, and seems too allow them to be visible to
other programs. But I'm still testing.

Peter