Non-human users of TeX Live

Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info
Mon May 6 15:11:50 CEST 2024

On Mon, 06 May 2024, Jonathan Fine wrote:
> This suggests that providing a secure and trusted supply chain for fonts,
> macros and other resources would help the managers of non-human TeX users.

I always ask the same thing, not only you, but also in meetings at work:
	What is an actionable item you propose?
Jonathan, you are a master of "abstract" proposals without any
actionable steps. So let me help you here:

- step 1: all authors of CTAN packages are required to create GPG keys
  and register their public keys with a (to be created) key server at
  CTAN
- step 2: all uploads to CTAN needs to be sign with a registered GPG key
- step 3: uploaded packages that have no signature get a "slack time" of
  1 year, after which they will be removed from CTAN
- step 4: TeX Live imports will check the signatures against the CTAN
  signature database when importing into TeX Live.

>From here on, we are already back to reality:
- TeX Live signs its releases and database files with a unique key
- tlmgr can verify the authenticity of the TeX Live database and thus
  the downloaded packages (via sha256 checksums)

Does this sound like a good plan to you? It would solve the potential
supply chain attack your are afraid of.

Best regards

Norbert

PS: We need volunteers to implement steps 1-3, step 4 I can do. The rest
is already done.

--
arXiv / Cornell University   +   IFMGA Guide   +   TU Wien  +  TeX Live