Ghostscript new (minor) version

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Fri May 17 19:26:30 CEST 2024

A new minor version 10.03.1 of Ghostscript has just been released, addressing security issues in version 10.03.0. It is not yet visible at the main Ghostscript site <https://www.ghostscript.com>, but it is already available at

https://github.com/ArtifexSoftware/ghostpdl-downloads/releases

(as prerelease).

More important possibly for TeX and friends is a change already in the GitHub development repository, which will be included in the next major release 10.04.0 this fall: the impossibility to change the output device through PostScript code, unless the new device has been declared upon launch through a new option "--permit-devices=".

For the technically inclined, see

https://git.ghostscript.com/?p=ghostpdl.git;a=commit;h=6e3108b270e926a2dcf3a632e6a298753d935b0c
https://git.ghostscript.com/?p=ghostpdl.git;a=commit;h=6e11faa76ce31b87132fa840aeecbd4440d8f55a

I don't know whether there are scripts or apps in TeX Live that use PostScript code to change Ghostscript's output device. I thought dvisvgm might, for PS-to-SVG conversion; but having compiled the development Ghostscript code, it seems dvisvgm is unaffected by the change and works with gs exactly the same as before.

Bruno Voisin