[tex4ht] [bug #608] Adding hyperref package makes tex4ht change its split level order

Nasser M. Abbasi puszcza-hackers at gnu.org.ua
Sun Sep 10 03:53:10 CEST 2023

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email:
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

Reference and screen shots at

https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/695624/adding-hyperref-package-makes-tex4ht-change-its-split-level-order

I noticed big problem. When I was using split level on document, which should
split it at section level because I used level 2, it did not.

It turned out when I remove the hyperref, then it does the right thing and
split at section level.

See How to split an article at the subsubsection level using tex4ht? for
splitting levels.

Here is a MWE

-------------------------
\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage{hyperref}

\begin{document}
\section{section one}
text

\section{section two}
text
\end{document}
---------------------

Compiled using

make4ht -ulm default -a debug foo.tex "mathjax,htm,2"

gives this HTML

enter image description here

You see, it did not split the page. Now by just removing the
\usepackage{hyperref} and compiling again, it now gives this correct page,
where it puts each section on its own page

enter image description here

I checked this in TL 2023 and also in TL 2022.

No wonder I always had hard time with split levels with tex4ht. It works
different depending if \usepackage{hyperref} is used or not. To get it to
split at section level when hyperref is loaded, level 3 should be used and not
2. But this is all wrong. Splitting level should not be affected by loading
hyperref

Thanks
--Nasser

  <http://puszcza.gnu.org.ua/bugs/?608>