[tex4ht] [bug #623] Images inverted with dark mode by default html5 css

Oliver Freyermuth puszcza-hackers at gnu.org.ua
Tue Apr 9 02:38:42 CEST 2024

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email:
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

Dear Karl,

feel free to close if this is intended — after updating from TeXlive 2021 to
2023, I noticed that with the default CSS and HTML5 mode in a dark-themed
browser, all image colours are inverted.

Body background colour and text colours are unaffected, but images are caught
by the rule:

        \Css{
 	  @media (prefers-color-scheme: dark) {
 	    img[src^="\jobname"]{filter: invert(1); }
 	  }
 	}

which was added in
https://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/texmf-dist/source/generic/tex4ht/tex4ht-html5.tex?r1=64099&r2=65513
. The comment there mentions this is a fix for:
"background of generated images in the dark mode"
so I presume it was added on purpose.

It seems quite irritating for a default — black graphics (e.g. pgfornaments)
vanish against the white background when shown in a dark-themed browser, and
photos get inverted colours.

I'm personally using:

filter: drop-shadow(7px 7px 4px rgba(0, 0, 0, .7)) invert(0) !important;

in my CSS for all images to overwrite that. and of course "nostyle" might be
what I should actually be using when using a custom CSS.

As outlined, if the default is intended, feel free to close.
Thanks!

  <http://puszcza.gnu.org.ua/bugs/?623>