default italic upper case Greek letters?

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 19:15:31 CEST 2023

Hi Ulrike

Thank you for your contribution. Here's my minimal example:

\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage[math-style=ISO]{unicode-math}
\begin{document}
\shipout\hbox{$\Alpha$ $A$}
\stop

When I look at the PDF, the $\Alpha$ and the $A$ appear to be completely
identical. I consider this to be a good reason for following plain TeX and
LaTeX in not defining the command $\Alpha$.

I'd be interested to know why unicode-math does otherwise. I would at least
expect a warning in the log file. By the way, copy and paste from the PDF
gives into a Python console gives:

>>> '𝛢𝐴'  # This might get garbled in your mail reader as it's Unicode.
'𝛢𝐴'
>>> tuple(map(ord, '𝛢𝐴'))
(120546, 119860)

So the two letters 'A' have different code points. They appear to have the
same glyph.

with kind regards

Jonathan