Problem with enumerate

Michael Barr, Prof. barr.michael at mcgill.ca
Thu Jul 6 20:43:36 CEST 2023

Can anyone tell me what parameter controls the label placement in the enumerate package?  If you compile the following file

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{maa-monthly}
\usepackage{enumerate}
\begin{document}

This is a test of the enumerate environment.  This is a sentence longer
than just one line.
\begin{enumerate}[{Alg}-1]
\item The first
 \item The second
\end{enumerate}
 and here is another line.

\end{document}
without the maa-monthly package everything looks normal, but with that package enabled, the entire label sticks into the margin.  I cannot figure out what is changed in that package (which is available from the MAA site, but you really don't have to get it.  If I know what is changed, I can change it back locally.  Unfortunately, the documentation for the enumerate package doesn't seem to mention this.

Michael