texhax Digest, Vol 2023, Issue 100

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 16:41:02 CEST 2023

Hi MIchael,

I cannot say what parameter in maa-monthly controls the indentation, given its coding in TeX rather than LaTeX. But would the following be an acceptable work-around, using the enumitem package instead of enumerate? With the code below, the desired labels will be given a normal par indent.

\documentclass{article}

\usepackage{maa-monthly}
\usepackage{enumitem}

\newlist{algenum}{enumerate}{1}
\setlist[algenum,1]{wide,leftmargin=*,label=Alg-\arabic*}

\begin{document}

This is a test of the enumerate environment.  This is a sentence longer
than just one line.
\begin{algenum}
\item The first
\item The second
\end{algenum}
and here is another line.

\end{document}

Murray

> On Jul 6, 2023, at 9:42 PM,"Michael Barr, Prof." <barr.michael at mcgill.ca <mailto:barr.michael at mcgill.ca>>wrote:
>
> Can anyone tell me what parameter controls the label placement in the enumerate package?  If you compile the following file
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{maa-monthly}
> \usepackage{enumerate}
> \begin{document}
>
> This is a test of the enumerate environment.  This is a sentence longer
> than just one line.
> \begin{enumerate}[{Alg}-1]
> \item The first
> \item The second
> \end{enumerate}
> and here is another line.
>
> \end{document}
> without the maa-monthly package everything looks normal, but with that package enabled, the entire label sticks into the margin.  I cannot figure out what is changed in that package (which is available from the MAA site, but you really don't have to get it.  If I know what is changed, I can change it back locally.  Unfortunately, the documentation for the enumerate package doesn't seem to mention this.

---
Murray Eisenberg		murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Mobile (413)-427-5334
503 King Farm Blvd #101