Problem with enumerate

Daniel H. Luecking luecking at uark.edu
Fri Jul 7 20:29:39 CEST 2023

Herbert Voss wrote:

>Am 06.07.23 um 20:43 schrieb Michael Barr, Prof.:
>> Can anyone tell me what parameter controls the label placement in the
>> enumerate package?  If you compile the following file
>>
>> \documentclass{article}
>> \usepackage{maa-monthly}
>> \usepackage{enumerate}
>

>change the order:
>
>\usepackage{enumerate}
>\usepackage{maa-monthly}
>

>Herbert

Changing the order doesn't work. maa-monthly.sty changes the definition of enumerate and the desired label prefix "Alg-" (added by the enumerate package) is lost.

The enumerate package simply parses the optional argument to define \labelenumi (etc.) and then ends with the rest of the standard definition of enumerate. Unfortunately, that definition ultimately calls \@listi and \@listI, which have been changed by maa-monthly.sty.

If one has to do this only seldom, one could delete the enumerate package and just use something like
 \item[Alg-1]
 \item[Alg-2]

Alternatively, one could save and reuse the old definition of \@listi:

 \let\save at listi=\@listi
 \let\save at listI=\@listI
 \usepackage{maa-monthly}
{
  \let\@listi\save at listi
  \let\@listI\save at listI
  \begin{enumerate}[{Alg}-1]
  \end{enumerate}
}

I can't guarantee there wouldn't be side effects that render this unsuitable.

A third possibility is to let the editors of the Monthly see the odd formatting and respond with a suggestion.

The Monthly asks submissions not to include any additional packages. So, it would seem that you shouldn't use enumerate.sty at all.

Cheers, Dan

Daniel H. Luecking [luecking at uark.edu]
Department of Mathematical Sciences
1 University of Arkansas