Looking for a serious TeX hacker

Charles Frankston cbf at arxiv.org
Fri Jun 16 23:17:24 CEST 2023

I'm the Technical Director of arXiv. As most readers of this list probably
know, we make available scientific pre-prints, which are mostly authored in
TeX/LaTeX.

I'm looking to hire a few developers right now - see
https://info.arxiv.org/hiring. I'd like one of the developers to be someone
capable of taking on this task:

*       TeX/LaTeX rationalization - arXiv accepts the bulk of its content in
TeX format. We have TeX or LaTeX source for 90% of our articles. However,
compiling all the TeX source we into viewable papers (in PDF and
increasingly also in HTML) can be difficult. We maintain a principle that we
can rebuild any TeX submission accepted in the last 32 years. Preserving
this capability, while being able to accept submissions that depend on the
latest and greatest versions of TeX or LaTeX has become increasingly
challenging. It is not unusual for a new release of TeX Live
<https://tug.org/texlive/>  to include changes that cause older papers to no
longer build properly. We have an opening for a TeX/LaTeX expert to
rationalize our TeX pipeline. This task may include getting deeply involved
in the TeX community and contributing to projects that support arXiv's
goals.

If anyone knows someone who might be interested and capable of this, please
encourage them to apply, or even just come chat with us (cbf at arxiv.org
<mailto:cbf at arxiv.org> ).

My apologies if this isn't the appropriate place for this.