another website making bibtex download difficult,

Schneider, Thomas (NIH/NCI) [E] schneidt at mail.nih.gov
Mon Oct 16 13:10:12 CEST 2023

Mike:

For me the The url was mangled by the idiotic 'safelinks'.  Undoing
that gave:

https://www.jbc.org/article/S0021-9258

which fails:

> An error has occurred
>
> The page or action you requested has resulted in an error. Please go
> back to the previous page by using your browser's Back button, or
> visit the Home Page.
>
> This page does not exist

I then put 'S0021-9258' into the search on that page and got

https://www.jbc.org/action/doSearch?type=quicksearch&text1=S0021-9258&field1=AllField

Guessing that the first paper is what you want gave:

https://www.jbc.org/article/S0021-9258(18)41411-1/fulltext

So the first thing is that JBC used unusual '(' and ')' in the url which
is probably a very bad idea.  Whatever tools you use (or the safelinks)
may have broken the URL at the parens.

The paper title is:

A naturally occurring point mutation confers broad range tolerance to
herbicides that target acetolactate synthase.

giving that to PubMed

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=A+naturally+occurring+point+mutation+confers+broad+range+tolerance+to+herbicides+that+target+acetolactate+synthase

gives two hits = same title, different times.  The second is an
Erratum, I will ignore that.  The first is a fine entry:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8690734/

I have a tool, medlinebib, that converts that to bibex format:
https://alum.mit.edu/www/toms/delila/medlinebib.html
The result is:

@article{Bernasconi.Siehl1996,
author = "P. Bernasconi
 and A. R. Woodworth
 and B. A. Rosen
 and M. V. Subramanian
 and D. L. Siehl",
title = "{A naturally occurring point mutation confers broad range
tolerance to herbicides that target acetolactate synthase}",
journal = "J Biol Chem",
volume = "271",
pages = "13925",
pmid = "8690734",