problems with LaTeX in linux mint 21.2

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at gmx.de
Mon Apr 15 00:33:53 CEST 2024

On 2024-04-14 at 19:12:29 +0100, David Carlisle wrote:

 > On Sun, 14 Apr 2024 at 18:03, Marek Pietrow <marek.pietrow at mail.umcs.pl>
 > wrote:
 >
 > > Dear TUG Support,
 > >
 > > I encountered the following problems with textlive-full package
 > > installation in linux mint 21.2 Cinamon:
 > >

 > It's not clear if you used the linux supplied texlive or texlive 2024
 > installed from the upstream tug.org
 >

 > >    1. The installation of this package never completes unless you press
 > >    enter several times.
 > >    2. After finishing the installation in this uncommon manner, a
 > >    compiler returns an error related to polish hyphenation (my LaTeX source
 > >    uses
 > >    \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
 > >    \usepackage{polski}
 > >    in the preamble):
 > >    ____________________________
 > >    ! Package polski Error: No hyphenation patterns for language `polish'.
 > >

 > If you installed  texlive2024 from tug then you can install polish
 > hyphenation patterns with
 >
 > tlmgr install hyphen-polish
 >
 > or possibly you need
 >
 > sudo tlmgr install hyphen-polish.
 >
 > If you installed your linux system texlive you manage it with your linux
 > package manager which (I think) is apt on linux mint
 > so something like
 >
 > sudo apt-get install hyphen-polish
 >
 > or a larger collection such as texlive-lang-polish see
 > https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal/tex/texlive-lang-polish

I suppose that Ubuntu and Linux Mint simply provide Debian packages.
On Debian one can't install single TeX Live packages but only
collections.

  $ apt search texlive | grep ^texlive- | grep polish
  texlive-lang-polish/oldstable,oldstable 2020.20210202-2 all

Hence only

  sudo apt install texlive-lang-polish

will work.

But since Marek said that he installed texlive-full all this shouldn't
be necessary.  Maybe something went wrong during installation.  Thus I
recommend to run

  sudo apt remove texlive-full
  sudo apt install texlive-full

first and if the error still occurs contact the Linux Mint package
maintainer responsible for TeX Live.

polski.sty is a wrapper based on the babel package which is supposed
to make documents written with LaTeX-2.09 work with LaTeX-2e.

I strongly recommend to replace the legacy

  \usepackage{polski}

by

  \usepackage[polish]{babel}

David, for a couple of years apt accepts the same arguments as
apt-get.  I suppose that all Debian based distributions inherited this
change.  apt-get is still available for backwards compatibility.

Regards,
  Reinhard

--
Marschnerstr. 25