Not off-topic: Wrong couple divorced after computer error by law firm Vardag's

Paulo Ney de Souza pauloney at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 00:02:09 CEST 2024

We do that ALL the time, not on lines on a poster, but with lines on
Bibliographies.

It used to be an extremely cumbersome and expensive procedure
during BibTeX times, when TeX did not know the language it was
typesetting a bibliography entry. It got infinitely better with BibLaTeX.

Of course, it is possible to annotate the XML with inter-word and inter-
character spacing information, but it is plain NOT done, most likely
because of the costs involved.

Just open the Bibliography of an Elsevier published article processed
with TeX, especially the ones with two columns, it is absolutely awful,
with absurd spacing in the wrong places and incorrect hyphenation
of words. It does look like they have the command \sloppy at the start
of every Biblio and hyphenate everything in English no matter what
is written in the text.

I am publishing a book with one of the big publishers and it has been
converted to XML. At every complaint of a bad line break or wrong
hyphenation they take a week to respond and, in general, with another
bad line-break or hyphenation caused by the previous fix.

Kaveh, if you know an efficient and inexpensive way to do this, you
could probably teach us because this is probably holding up the adoption
of XML as a source, by authors. What about a talk at TUG'24?

Paulo Ney