Not off-topic: Wrong couple divorced after computer error by law firm Vardag's (Erik Nijenhuis)

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Apr 25 23:47:07 CEST 2024

Erik Nijenhuis said on Wed, 24 Apr 2024 14:58:34 +0000 (UTC)

>For some simple legal documents, I would use Markdown as input source.
>I find XML way to technical for legal authors. Secondly, Markdown is a
>perfect choice for documents containing large amounts of texts, due to
>its readability.

Thirdly, Markdown is an incredibly fast authoring format. Fourthly,
creating a Markdown to XML convert is trivial, even without compiler
theory, and from XML it's pretty easy to go to HTML or Docbook or Plain
TeX or even LaTeX.

>However, there are some downsides of using Markdown, like robust
>referencing and labeling to other legal documents.

Also, Markdown provides just a very few styles, with no provision for
making your own styles (commands and environments in LaTeX-speak). I'm
considering making a Markdown preprocessor to add this home-grown
styles capability to Markdown.

I don't consider this archival. I consider it a very efficient human
typewriting interface that's easily converted to XML, and from there,
to any conceivable output format.

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21