KPathSea bindings for Java

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Jul 9 00:40:54 CEST 2024

Hi Erik,

    That's why I've published jkpathsea (still a work in progress) at:
      https://github.com/Xerdi/jkpathsea

Maybe "jpathsea" would be a more fun name :)?
(Not that I have anything against jkpathsea which is, admittedly, more
logical.)

    Firstly, are there people interested in such features for Java?

I don't know. Barring other replies to your msg here, I would guess
people would find it over time.

Maybe it would of interest in the "Island of TeX" project, since their
main program arara is written in Java. It seems like it would fit in:
https://islandoftex.gitlab.io/

    Secondly, would there be any volunteers to contribute, particularly
    for Windows support? (I don't have a Windows machine at the moment.)

I don't know either way.

    Lastly, is this a potential subject for inclusion in the TeX Live
    source itself?

There are other Java packages in TeX Live, like the aforementioned
arara, bib2gls as you mentioned, texosquery, tlcockpit, etc., so I see
nothing against it, in principle.

There are no other Java libraries distributed as part of TL, and I don't
want to create a whole new subtree. But I guess your jar file could be
put into texmf-dist/scripts, like all the others, and found ... somehow.
Not sure of the most convenient way to set that up, but we could figure
it out if the project comes to fruition. --happy java hacking, karl.