[tex-k] tex.ch line number updating?

Doug McKenna doug at mathemaesthetics.com
Tue Jun 4 18:06:32 CEST 2024

Karl Berry wrote:

>| tex.ch (and, to a lesser extent, mf.ch and others) has line numbers for
>| each hunk, for instance:
>| @x [22.306] l.6855 - i18n fix
>|   begin print_nl("Runaway ");
>|
>| This is useful. However, they have mostly not been kept updated with the
>| new versions of tex.web. In this case, line 6855 of tex.web is currently
>| in a later module's descriptive text, and the correct line number is
>| 6615.

So I downloaded "tex.web" and "tex.ch" from:

  <https://github.com/TeX-Live/texlive-source/blob/trunk/texk/web2c/tex.web>
and
  <https://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Build/source/texk/web2c/tex.ch?revision=71418>

But in this "tex.ch", there is no line:
   @x [22.306] l.6855 - i18n fix

There is a line:
   @x [22.306] l.6615 - i18n fix
which corresponds correctly to line 6615 in "tex.web".

I've verified with a program I modified to report any and all such discrepancies, but it didn't find any when applying this "tex.ch" to this "tex.web".

There appear to be other, likely older, "tex.ch" files, however, that DO have
   @x [22.306] l.6855 - i18n fix
in them, e.g., line 1419 of

  <https://github.com/holzschu/lib-tex/blob/master/texk/web2c/tex.ch>

So where/which is the official "web.ch" file?  Were you using it?  Or has this all been fixed in the last couple of days?

Doug McKenna