TL2024 from .iso fail under cygwin (win11 pro)

Ken Brown kbrow1i at gmail.com
Wed May 1 20:24:48 CEST 2024

On 4/30/2024 6:27 PM, Karl Berry wrote:
>      Nevertheless, I think the installer is a special case, if only
>      because it is the first stop before one has a usable TL
>      installation.
>
> How about if, under Cygwin, the installer checks up front for
> /usr/bin/wget.exe or (I suppose) /usr/bin/curl.exe existing? If neither
> is a present, issue a warning message along the lines that happens now
> for tlmgr (but continue anyway, just in case it's an unusual situation).
>
> That would be easy to do. Ken (in particular), wdyt?

That sounds good to me, but I would make it a very strong warning that
encourages the user not to continue.  Something like this:

   You are using Cygwin but have not installed wget or curl.  See the
   TeXLive Guide.....

   Continue anyway (not recommended)?

> And, maybe the Cygwin section in the manual should mention curl?

Yes.  "wget" could be replaced by "wget or curl".

Ken