[EXT] Re: TL 2024 cannot be installed on some Windows computers

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at gmx.de
Sat May 18 00:20:34 CEST 2024

On 2024-05-16 at 21:52:06 +0100, Philip Taylor \(RHBNC\) via tex-live wrote:

 > OK, I clearly misunderstood, but now that I think that I
 > understand, then I must ask "if the source file is
 > tlperl.windows.r69939.tar.xz and the intended destination is
 > tlperl.windows.r69939.tar, would it not be more appropriate to use
 > a program intended to decompress .xz files rather than a program
 > such as 'tar' which is (presumably) intended to create or
 > deconstruct .tar files ?".  I have no idea what program one should
 > use to decompress .xz files but it seems to me that such a program
 > must exist.

Hello Phil,
when you uncompress the installer package you downloaded
(install-tl.zip), you'll find the following files:

   tlpkg/installer/tar.exe
   tlpkg/installer/xz/xz.exe

If you prefer the two-step approach, invoke

   xz --decompress tlperl.windows.<revision>.tar.xz

and then

   tar -xf tlperl.windows.<revision>.tar

But you can do the same in one step:

   tar -xJf tlperl.windows.<revision>.tar.xz

The -J option tells tar(.exe) that the file is xz compressed.

Regards,
  Reinhard

--
Marschnerstr. 25