Ghostscript new (minor) version

Martin Gieseking martin.gieseking at uos.de
Tue May 21 10:49:23 CEST 2024

Hi Bruno,

Am 17.05.2024 um 19:26 schrieb Bruno Voisin via tex-live:
> More important possibly for TeX and friends is a change already in the GitHub development repository, which will be included in the next major release 10.04.0 this fall: the impossibility to change the output device through PostScript code, unless the new device has been declared upon launch through a new option "--permit-devices=".

> I don't know whether there are scripts or apps in TeX Live that use PostScript code to change Ghostscript's output device. I thought dvisvgm might, for PS-to-SVG conversion; but having compiled the development Ghostscript code, it seems dvisvgm is unaffected by the change and works with gs exactly the same as before.

thank you for the heads up and for testing dvisvgm with the GS
development version. I also performed some tests with it and can't find
any issues at the moment either. However, dvisvgm uses setpagedevice in
conjunction with /OutputDevice to extract bitmaps from PS/EPS files.
According to the GS docs, this should lead to an error if the used
devices are not specified with --permit-devices. But the GS development
version of 10.4.0 still works as before without this command line
parameter. Maybe -dNOSAFER disables the additional checks. I guess I
need to investigate this in more detail.

Martin