Sorted: Line lengths with polyglossia in Cantonese and Japanese

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Fri May 31 22:28:11 CEST 2024

On Fri, May 31, 2024 at 07:45:39PM +0100, Ken Moffat via tex-live wrote:

(trimming most of this)

> So I now assume that I should stick with xelatex, both the SC and TC
> results are "good enough" for me.
>
> ĸen

There is an open issue about missing line breaking for CJK in
LuaLaTeX, https://github.com/reutenauer/polyglossia/issues/635

On the face of it, xelatex should just work for my simple needs
(i.e. only one language in the paragraph).

Reading the comments, and searching for explanations of
\XeTeXlinebreaklocale and \XeTeXlinebreakskip I'm now using the
following settings in the notojamin.tex MWE (and a notoscmin.tex
variant for the sc font) :

nojamin.tex:\XeTeXlinebreaklocale "jp"
nojamin.tex:\XeTeXlinebreakskip = 0pt plus 1pt minus 0.1pt

noscmin.tex:\XeTeXlinebreaklocale "zh"
noscmin.tex:\XeTeXlinebreakskip = 0pt plus 1pt minus 0.1pt

I'm not sure if the linebreakskip is correct for Japanese, but it
looks ok, and more to the point, none of the 'hani' languages are
reported to overflow and they seem to have the same line breaks in
both the fonts.

Thanks to both for the prompts and for causing me to look through
some nearby firefox tabs I had open (I'd ignored the list of issues
before posting, because I was using XeLaTeX).

ken
--
When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.
When many people suffer from a delusion it is called a Religion.