MacTeX Installation fails on M1 Mac

Harald Hanche-Olsen hanche at runbox.no
Thu May 4 11:01:40 CEST 2023

What you have is a singularly unhelpful error message. Basically, “something went wrong”.

You might try searching the file /var/log/install.log for clues. The file is long, but if you haven't installed anything else recently, the mactex installation log entries should be near the end.

And rather than downloading multiple times, just run md5 on your installation file and compare the result with the fingerprint listed at https://www.tug.org/mactex/mactex-download.html.

Perhaps you have a full disk? Worth looking into.

Also, the mactex support list will be much more likely to help than texhax:

– Harald